Camber spar

mike cunningham

Camber spar

Post by mike cunningham »

Ok people. Which one of the holes on the inboard end of the spar is for the topping lift and which one for the sheet?

As you know there is a sort of oval metal loop welded to the end of the spar. One loop is pretty snug to the spar while the other stands proud 3 or 4 inches.

I think I have them backwards but no mention of this rigging in the F30 manual I possess. A strange exclusion given the uniqueness of the spar. And, I admit, a strange question to be asking after 23 years of ownership.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

SunnyIsleMark

Re: Camber spar

Post by SunnyIsleMark »

I was looking at mine this week and wondered the same thing…
I think the long side goes towards the deck but it seems as it would work either way. That’s how I’m set up anyway.
Attachments
EB07B2F6-AF06-4EF0-930C-C3E7866C3EDC.jpeg
EB07B2F6-AF06-4EF0-930C-C3E7866C3EDC.jpeg (57.24 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
203083A7-5749-477C-A1EF-5F7C97C357C6.jpeg
203083A7-5749-477C-A1EF-5F7C97C357C6.jpeg (289.81 KiB) Viewed 2882 times

walterg

Post by walterg »

Here's what mine looks like. Can't guarantee that it's right, just the way it has always been.
camberspar.jpg
camberspar.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Thanks for this question, Mike, because I see some info posted that I had not come across yet. Now that you know which end is up (which is funny because the camberspar can only go one way when the sail is up) you might put a topping lift on the loop that's on top. It keeps the camberspar in the correct orientation and also keeps the whole sail off the deck, particularly helpful if you have a hatch over the v-berth.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Hi Gamayun,
To keep the camber spar off the deck, attach a cable clamp to the forestay the height of the bow pulpit and below the spar. That plus the topping lift will keep it up for mooring or anchoring.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Riki

Post by Riki »

Hi Stephen,
Any chance you can post a pic of the cable clamp suggestion? It's not quite clear in my mind. Thanks,
Riki
1997 Freedom 40/40 Hull #27

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Hi Rikki,
Maybe I used the wrong term. Wire rope clamp is a better term. I think this is about the right size.
Attachments
wire rope clamp.png
wire rope clamp.png (250.75 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

I would suggest using a plastic sail chafe protector instead, as metal clamps like these can bend/weaken the strands of wire. Also, it's always good to avoid sharp edges (like the threaded ends of the U-bolt) near the sail. Harken makes this one, and Ronstan makes a cheaper version. You may need to drill out the center hole a bit to open it up. Mine has been in place for 3 years without issue.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (25.58 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

I put a Dyneema forestay on after breaking the wire twice in 3 years. I like that sail chafe "platform" as a way of keeping the sail from dropping onto the deck. My plan was to run a PVC pipe a little ways up the forestay to have the camberspar rest on that, but always felt a bit hackneyed and wouldn't stand up to UV for very long.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Funny you guys mentioning the standoff. I removed the forestay at the deck and slid it through a foot long section of very stiff air pump hose. Does a nice job keeping the jib off the deck.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the camber spar doohickey attachment. I will experiment with both approaches and see which one makes it easiest to raise and lower the sail.

Gamayun, yeah, that's been bothering me. The sail does not flake down the way it used to and I think that is because I fouled this up. I do have a topping lift rigged.

To be clear, I have had the jib off and on many times and probably had it right ocassionally
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment