Forestay Tension ?

Pearce

Forestay Tension ?

Post by Pearce »

Hi,

Recent Camberspar rigging posts have me thinking about Forestay tension.

Is there any agreement on the forestay tension?
Posts and opinions on this topic seem to run the gamut. Seems like it would not some slack to get the vanging effect and push forward.

Especially to avoid dreaded banging on mast when tacking or gybing in light air ?

1) Tight - no slack
2) Just Loose enough but not pulling mast forward
3) Even looser - forestay can be pulled to 6” inches each side
4) Super Loose - forestay can be pulled 8-10” inches each side.

Thoughts ?
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

RadioZephyr

Re: Forestay Tension ?

Post by RadioZephyr »

I believe the correct answer is #2. I say “correct” because it’s what Paul Dennis told me to do, and when it comes to Freedoms, Paul Dennis is always correct. Specifically, his instructions were to add tension until just before the mast starts to deflect. It’s much easier with another person there, so they can watch the mast from a distance and call out the moment it starts to bend.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Hi Pat,
To avoid the "dreadful banging on the mast", tie the tack of the jib to the forestay. That pulls the spar forward enough to miss the mast.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Pearce

Post by Pearce »

So my jib had a little 3” tether at the tack with a snap-hook that I stopped using. Instead I am going right to the ring to secure the tack.

Tightened up the Forestay per Josh. Will redo at the dock to see if the rig is too tight. Ironically upwind performance seems to have improved.

Lashed the ring to the Forestay per Steve.

Tied the Jib Topping lift lower.

All combined seems to be resolving the issue. Camberspar still passing quite close but not banging anymore.

Thanks for all the advice.
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA