Masthead removal

gamayun

Re: Masthead removal

Post by gamayun »

TonyB wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:13 pm
On a related question what have folks been using to seal at the deck? I used a Boat Life product that promptly cracked and leaked and makes a ton of noise. I want to dig it out and reseal with a better product. 4200? Something else?
Do you mean the mast seal around the ring or at the collar? I have been using 3M 4000 UV on just about everything. Been very happy with it. But I was using Life Caulk at the time when I had last pulled the mast. It dries up and flakes out.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Camino, it's real easy if you pull the crane off, attach all the cables (including a way for taking the weight off between the cable and connection) and then run it back through with a tag line. Of course, make sure the tag hasn't crossed any of the halyards. Mine had and we used PVC pipe to run a new tag line up the mast. Hopefully you'll know someone who can then use 55 feet of 1/2 inch pipe.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

gamayun wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:14 pm
Nice! Who did the orange powder coat? Were they able to do one small piece like that or was there more?
It is orange spray paint. I sanded the aluminum very smooth, primed with an aluminum primer a couple of coats and then a rust oleum orange paint 3 coats I think. Pretty happy with the results.
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

gamayun wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:17 pm
TonyB wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:13 pm
On a related question what have folks been using to seal at the deck? I used a Boat Life product that promptly cracked and leaked and makes a ton of noise. I want to dig it out and reseal with a better product. 4200? Something else?
Do you mean the mast seal around the ring or at the collar? I have been using 3M 4000 UV on just about everything. Been very happy with it. But I was using Life Caulk at the time when I had last pulled the mast. It dries up and flakes out.
Yes. Ok I’ll try that. The Life Caulk has been a disaster.
Tony

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Camino wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:15 pm
All of the mast head cranes look beautiful! Tell me how it went with cables down the mast! I had a heck of time threading cables through mine a couple years ago and will need to do that again soon….foam at the base of the mast was tough!
When I pulled my mast head off, I left the wires attached to the mast head and taped on a long messenger or tag line at the base so that as I pulled out the mast head it pulled the wires and the tag line in. And it kept the proper path through halyards etc. We also removed all the halyards the same way. I bought a big spool of polypro for the messenger lines and labled the heck out of everything.
Attachments
37DEEC28-A05C-49A5-82EF-3FD06ACA4D72.jpeg
37DEEC28-A05C-49A5-82EF-3FD06ACA4D72.jpeg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 1567 times
Tony

pelagic

Post by pelagic »

It would seem ideal to run wire inside conduit, with tie wraps around.. possibly one for lights and a smaller one for vhf/ wind indicator secured together...?

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

pelagic wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:49 am
It would seem ideal to run wire inside conduit, with tie wraps around.. possibly one for lights and a smaller one for vhf/ wind indicator secured together...?
How would you secure the conduit inside the mast? It seems to me this is not a trivial project. I keep coming back to using 3 sturdy zip ties at 120-degree angles and hope they do not interfere with the halyards.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

pelagic

Post by pelagic »

hopefully tie wraps should keep it in place, if heavy enough. I have also filled a mast with foam peanuts, works great.

DonHodgson

Post by DonHodgson »

Just joined today and this is my first post. I am a new owner of a Freedom 33 CC, Hull 47 with a tall rig located in Southern California. A few weeks back the halyard, block and sail came down to the deck while sailing. It was a little gusty by not bad. She is in a yard now, and I have attached a picture of where where the block was attached and the aluminum broke. Lesson learned that I should have included the mast head during survey. Looking at the other pictures of the new mastheads in the other thread with beefy U-bolt connections I see now I need to get a new one designed and built, but has anyone seen this particular mast head set up before? I am trying to find a short term fix while I work on a longer term solution.

Separately I am having a hard time finding someone local willing to unstep the carbon mast since the mast head bolts are also corroded and will need some work. Was very happy with her the times I was able to sail.
Freedom Masthead 2.jpg
Freedom Masthead 2.jpg (160.26 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

Camino

Post by Camino »

Don- good pic. Have to ask (probably a dumb question) on the aluminum where the shackle broke off what is the bronze disc with what looks like a stop pin? And was the main halyard all external?
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA