Will jib hanks bind on new forestay

Moss

Will jib hanks bind on new forestay

Post by Moss »

45cc. Have a new wire forestay and sails this season. When raising the jib, there seems to be a lot of resistance the last 10 feet. Would the hanks bind on the new forestay? Should the wire be lubricated? I did not have this problem last year.

Thanks for your help!

Moss

Camino

Re: Will jib hanks bind on new forestay

Post by Camino »

Im out of my element talking about jib hanks- but some thoughts- not a good idea to lubricant the forestay….. on the binding - how many hanks are there from the tack to where the camberspar meets the luff on the forestay? While hoisting you should be able to see exactly where the bind is…. Try tacking the camberspar jib at the foot as usual, and attach the halyard. Don’t attach any of the hanks and hoist- does the sail still bind? Problem may be in the sheave on the mast? Let us know!
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

jamesorr

Post by jamesorr »

2 things to look for that I have experienced in the past:
* Make sure that none of the hanks are inverted -- as this will cause binding.
* On my boat, I have different size lines for the jib and spin halyards -- and when I re-did the lines one year, I assumed that the jib halyard should use the bottom halyard and the spin halyard should use the top. However, on my bought, the bottom sleeve entry had a nearby obstruction which caused the larger jib halyard to catch on, and by switching them around to their original positions caused the problem to go away.
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY

Moss

Post by Moss »

Thank you James. I will check the hanks!