Boom Vang mast collar

SimonH

Boom Vang mast collar

Post by SimonH »

New owner of PH39. The collar supporting the boom vang on the main mast gradually slid down onto the mast boot crushing the tape (even more than in the pic). I removed the collar and fixed the tape before any damage was done to the actual boot.

Now it is time to remount the collar and here is the problem. It looked like the collar was mounted on top of tape originally which I assumed protected the mast from problems caused by S/Steel rubbing directly on the mast. However, I can barely connect a bolt on the collar so it has me rethinking. Perhaps the collar was directly on the mast and the tape I saw was from it sliding?

Any thoughts from the group about connecting the collar directly on the mast or is some sort of "padding" needed.

One other question, how would I know the correct height to place the collar? The PO said it should be more like a foot or two above the deck.

Thanks.
boom vang collar.pdf
(14.99 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
Deale, MD
'85 39 PH
"Jenny Sue II"

GeoffSchultz

Re: Boom Vang mast collar

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I have a 40/40, which utilizes the same boom vang collar, and mine sits on top of the mast ring. I use probably 1/4" extremely stiff sheet rubber to go between the boom vang collar and the mast. I crank that down as tight as I can make it.

My biggest issue is the collar rotating in high winds. I have a piece that I made that keeps it from sliding up/around. It attaches to the mast collar ring just below where the boom vang attaches to its collar. The bolt for the boom vang goes through the hole in the center of it. The first photo shows an early version which was much too light, and the other photo shows the final version, which I think uses 1/2" stainless and 3/8" rod, before installation.
20061114_113659.jpg
20061114_113659.jpg (134.39 KiB) Viewed 908 times
20070219_133423.jpg
20070219_133423.jpg (127.4 KiB) Viewed 908 times
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Thanks Geoff. Rubber sheet makes sense and is easy. Interesting issue with your collar riding up since mine has had the opposite problem. I have to get some welding work done for a different project so might make sense to have the "hold down" fitting made up at the same time just in case.

Much appreciated.
Deale, MD
'85 39 PH
"Jenny Sue II"

jamesorr

Post by jamesorr »

Not sure it would have any different effect, but I used a truck inner tube (softer rubber for sure) as my rubber source between my vang collar on my F32 (Mull) and the mast which I first glued to the inside of the vang collar (but used no glue between it and the mast) -- and I personally haven't experienced it moving at all for the last 15 years or so (there is a gap of about 6 inches between the bottom of the vang collar and the top of the mast collar).
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY