On Deck Staysail badly Freedom 21

Lionel7

On Deck Staysail badly Freedom 21

Post by Lionel7 »

I am interested in building a sail bag for my standard F-21 Staysail. I’m thinking of a long and narrow bag attached forward at the bow pulpit near the gun mount tube running down and along the deck under where the pole runs along the lifelines and feathered to the first stantion along the port side. I would leave the sheets rigged. To fly the sail I would unzip the top of the bag along its length and leave it teathered on the deck. Launch the sail right out of the bag. Has anyone done this and do you have any diagrams, pictures, specs, etc that could help flesh out the idea. I think I would use the sail a lot more if it was on deck ready to go. I am on a mooring and want to protect the sail from UV if left rigged. Thanks.

SunnyIsleMark

Re: On Deck Staysail badly Freedom 21

Post by SunnyIsleMark »

That sounds pretty much the way many of the larger Freedoms are set up normally, although I’m not sure you really want the bag lashed to the foredeck while sailing, nor would you necessarily want it to open from the top. The camber spar does keep things more rigid and easier to bag.
Attachments
4104465D-459F-4A39-91A8-AC1F57F28786.jpeg
4104465D-459F-4A39-91A8-AC1F57F28786.jpeg (431.84 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Does your staysail tack to the gunmount like mine does? And will you be also rigging the spinnaker? The spinnaker and staysail tend to really get in the way of each other - I've tried and failed to come up with a way to rig both at once cleanly.
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

Teke's Pride

Post by Teke's Pride »

Hey Ian,

I had the same problem on Teke's Pride. The way I handled it was to add another halyard to the front of the mast below the spinnaker halyard and a ringbolt to the cross bar of the pulpit. This meant recutting the staysail due to the now shorter luff but, with the addition of a small roller furler, I'n now able to use both the staysail and spinnaker without going forward and swapping sails.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

My blade jib is also tacked to the pulpit top rail and I now have a forestay on which to hank it, attached with an additional halliard just below the spinnaker halliard to ring on the mast. Before, it was hanked to the halliard but that made it difficult to raise and lower and keep tidy. My jib will not furl as it self tacking and has a buily-in wishbone boom but that helps in keeping it tidy when on deck. I have both uphaul and downhaul lines back to the cockpit, so can raise and lower from there. Although it is a bit crowded forward, I can still have both jib and spinnaker ready to rock without leaving the cockpit. Neither stay there when I leave the boat for any length of time. I think that is as good as it gets with my setup.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK