Main Halyard Woes

Camino

Main Halyard Woes

Post by Camino »

Advise needed- back in June before the Ditch Run, hoisting my main using the electric winch (Harken 44) the mainsail went up with great effort, going a couple of feet, stopping and with the winch grinding, a pop would be heard from the mast and sail would go up another couple feet- repeat. I took the winch apart again and worked fine during the race ie at the start hoisting the main…. Back in the bay every hoist sees the same thing. Took the winch apart dozen times. Harken said sounded like a worm gear drive under the winch - I ordered one. In the meanwhile I spoke with a rigger friend who suggested that the problem is the 7/8” original halyard is thickening under load at the masthead sheave I cancelled the worm gear drive and ordered 10 mm halyard.

Today I sewed the old and new together and hauled the new halyard into place. Very simple and absolutely no binding of any sort pulling the new one through. I stood at the mast and hand heaved the main up- got about 10’ and could not haul anymore. Tried the same using winch in manual mode with winch handle and same - just wouldn’t go up. Tried power mode and back to the up and grind and jerk. Painful

The antal track looks good -ie no gaps or other bad signs.

I can also tie a light messenger line to the halyard and easily hand hoist that with no binding….

If the masthead sheave I’d think the 3/8” halyard would still move over it…

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

newt2u

Re: Main Halyard Woes

Post by newt2u »

It sounds as if your masthead sheave has jammed, with no load the friction would be minimal and you could hoist your messenger line without noticing it but as soon as you put load on it the friction builds up and it seems like 10ft up the friction reaches the limit of manual and mechanical effort. Jerkyness could be the result of difference between static and dynamic friction.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

Camino

Post by Camino »

Logical - I made appointment with Kkmi Richmond next week. They can haul a rigger up with a crane. Thanks
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

SunnyIsleMark

Post by SunnyIsleMark »

A couple of ideas to try:
1: bypass the mainsail, but tie the halyard to a line, like a Cunningham that you can lead to a winch to create some drag. See if you can replicate the problem and that would isolate it to the halyard blocks.
2: make sure your mainsail slides and mast track are clean and well lubricated with silicon spray or equivalent. It is surprising how much friction can build up with dirty slides. A small nick somewhere up the track or slot could also be binding and releasing. (Also make sure you are not fighting the sail against lazy jacks or the wind of course.)
Good luck!
Mark

Camino

Post by Camino »

Yay - looks like I saved a trip to the boatyard thanks to good advise :D
A month ago I went up the mast and looked at the Antal track - all looked good. Today I went up and cleaned the track and cars and generously lubed all. Raised and lowered the main a dozen times and all seems good now. I also did put tension on the halyard with another line attached and sheave seemed good….. so once again my bad
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

SunnyIsleMark

Post by SunnyIsleMark »

Great to hear! Surprising what a difference cleaning and lubing can make!