mast wedge help

Rob_45ca

mast wedge help

Post by Rob_45ca »

I have a 32' that I bought and is on the hard 16 hours away from me. I am trying to get together most everything I will need to get it back in the water before I go to get it in May. I have read all the good info I could find here on the mast wedge, but I need the measurements of the mast wedge so I can cut it before I go. There was no wedge on the boat now and the mast is off. There were only a couple pieces of broken 1" nylon there. I hope someone can remember or knows the size.
Thanks

TonyB

Re: mast wedge help

Post by TonyB »

I have an F40/40 that I was having mast wedge issues with. I finally called Paul Dennis at Warren River Boat Works who used to build Freedoms and works a lot on them still. He said he gave up on the mast wedge years ago and moved to using spar tight. He said the mast wedge was too difficult to get “just right”.
The spar tight pour was just finished and I expect to have the boat back next week. So hopefully this will fix my issues. But you might want to consider spar tight instead of the mast wedge.
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

walterg

Post by walterg »

Hi Rob,

I'm afraid that the attached drawing may not be of help as the dimensions are for my M28 and not your 32; I am not sure if the same mast wedge material was used for both. If you have even a scrap of the old wedge that will give you the width and height, the length can be left long and trimmed to fit when you step the mast. The manufacturer I used for the new wedge is given in my post viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13288 which you've probably checked already.
Mast compression ring_drawing.pdf
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

Rob_45ca

Post by Rob_45ca »

TonyB wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:41 am
I have an F40/40 that I was having mast wedge issues with. I finally called Paul Dennis at Warren River Boat Works who used to build Freedoms and works a lot on them still. He said he gave up on the mast wedge years ago and moved to using spar tight. He said the mast wedge was too difficult to get “just right”.
The spar tight pour was just finished and I expect to have the boat back next week. So hopefully this will fix my issues. But you might want to consider spar tight instead of the mast wedge.

I like the idea but how would I keep a 49 foot mast in center and not moving while the boat is in the water. With a carbon fiber mast and no rigging I do not believe I could keep it in place while it hardens over the 24hours . My mast goes on after its in the water .

Clemson

Post by Clemson »

Stepping a mast while it is in the water seems like a challenge for all involved, but I could be wrong as I am a newbie. I did step the mast on my 28M last year and with the proper wedge it is rather straightforward as long as you have a good mallet and don't over caulk , which will make it much harder to take the mast out down the road .

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Well I didn’t do it. But I think you would use wooden wedges at the top to center and hold the mast in place. Then do a partial pour and let it harden. Then remove wedges (now first partial pour holds mast in place) and do a second pour to fill up space.
Tony

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

I had Paul install Spartite while my boat was in the water, it's not a problem. I don't remember exactly how he did it, but you can certainly call and ask him. I remember that we had to wait for a calm day.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

These were the instructions from Paul (as I remember them):
  • Align Mast
    Center Mast (with wedges)
    Apply vaseline to sides of opening so spartite doesn't stick to cabin top.
    Do Not apply vaseline to mast, so that spartite ring will pull with mast in the future.
    Fill bottom of gap with provided clay.
    Pour some spartite in and allow to set
    Remove wedges and clay.
    Build small dam on cabin top around opening so you can pour a little bit above.
    Pour second pour of spartite so it sits just above cabin top.
    Install ring down onto top of spartite it will push spartite wedge super snug
    Fill just the very top edge of the ring to mast gap with silicon caulking.
Tony

walterg

Post by walterg »

By no means would I ever question Paul's knowledge and experience, but the Spartite approach seems like a lot of fussy work, and I wonder how well the result will stand up to repeated removals and resteps of the mast.
It's a little bewildering to me why Freedom owners don't just make a new polyurethane wedge and replicate the original design (which, after all, held up for most of us without issue for the first 30+ years). It's not that hard or expensive. My mast comes out every year, and there isn't any drama to it. The polyurethane wedge gets re-used every year with just a modest bead of silicone seal around the top collar, is snugged down under the collar, and that's all it needs.
As always there's multiple ways to solve the problem.
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Well my polyurethane wedge has been nothing but trouble causing really loud creaking and groaning. So that is why we are moving away from it. Hopefully the spartite solves the problem.
Tony