mast wedge help

adam

Re: mast wedge help

Post by adam »

aloha josh, can you please describe in detail how you did the spartite for the group

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

Aloha!

I had Paul Dennis pour my Spartite, so I can't detail the process, unfortunately. I do know that release agent only goes on the partners, not the mast. It also requires the construction of a clay "dam" to form the bottom of the mold, and the clay is included with the kit.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

I spoke with Paul Dennis. He said to apply Vaseline liberally to the partners but not the mast. He also said to make sure to only apply caulk at the lip of the mast collar and not to try and fill the whole gap. Just make a bead to seal the gap at the lip.
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

TonyB wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:41 am
I have an F40/40 that I was having mast wedge issues with. I finally called Paul Dennis at Warren River Boat Works who used to build Freedoms and works a lot on them still. He said he gave up on the mast wedge years ago and moved to using spar tight. He said the mast wedge was too difficult to get “just right”.
The spar tight pour was just finished and I expect to have the boat back next week. So hopefully this will fix my issues. But you might want to consider spar tight instead of the mast wedge.
I think I saw Circe at BMC. Coincidentally, Ruben was working on the wedge.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

mike cunningham

Late to thread but my wedge, which I think is spartite, just pops out when I pull the mast. Mind you it takes a bit of prodding from below decks. It is getting old (age of boat as far as I know) but works fine. I have always thought I would just build a small mold based upon existing and pour the darn thing at home. It is a pretty simple shape and quite flexible . Maybe that is too easy??
Mike Cunningham

patrick@paradox

Post by patrick@paradox »

mike cunningham wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:26 pm
Late to thread but my wedge, which I think is spartite, just pops out when I pull the mast. Mind you it takes a bit of prodding from below decks. It is getting old (age of boat as far as I know) but works fine. I have always thought I would just build a small mold based upon existing and pour the darn thing at home. It is a pretty simple shape and quite flexible . Maybe that is too easy??
Hi, I just removed the masts from my F39, they refused to come out until I went below deck and hammered the wedge upwards and out.
Then all went OK. I will definitely smear them with vaseline before re-stepping the masts.
Here attached (hopefully) are pictures of the wedges.
Maybe you can answer my question: Are these polyurethane, or spartite, or other?
Thanks!
wedge_fore_mast.jpg
wedge_fore_mast.jpg (112.18 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
wedge_aft_mast.jpg
wedge_aft_mast.jpg (201.72 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
" ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats"
- the Chinese Water Rat

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

That looks like Spartite, but it's been cut off the mast. I believe it's meant to be left as a seamless ring around the mast.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

jamesorr

Post by jamesorr »

As always, YMMV, however, on my boat with the traditional wedge, there is usually a gap where the two ends come together. My mast get pulled every year for inside storage, and the yard just uses a very large screwdriver where they insert it into the gap and then start prying up one of the ends -- and they have the wedge out faster than you can say "Bobs your uncle".
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY

mike cunningham

jamesorr wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:36 am
As always, YMMV, however, on my boat with the traditional wedge, there is usually a gap where the two ends come together. My mast get pulled every year for inside storage, and the yard just uses a very large screwdriver where they insert it into the gap and then start prying up one of the ends -- and they have the wedge out faster than you can say "Bobs your uncle".
Although I don't come out every year, I have had my mast out five or six times and same deal as yours. Boatyard attaches crane to mast places it under load and I get below and tap the bottom of the wedge with a piece of wood and a rubber hammer. It usually pops out after a minute or two of pulling a prodding and (carefully) pounding. I don't use any lube but might try the Vaseline next time although a silicone grease might be a better choice? I don't know what material but it is sort of yellowish and is cut like yours. There is a one inch gap between the ends when the wedge is installed. I can imagine that being an issue and is one reason I suspect it may have been cast in a form versus in situ. Having said all of this, the wedge looks pretty indestructible is in excellent shape and I expect it will last for a good long time to come.

One other point, Someone mentioned mast creak. I suppose some noise could be coming from the partners but the real culprit (on my boat anyway) is the tophat arrangement at the heel of the mast. Unless the tophat diameter results in a good tight fit with the mast OD when the mast is stepped, you run the risk of the heel slipping a fraction of an inch under certain conditions. I my case this tends to take place off the wind in a good seaway. The mast does not gently slip either. As a result of the downward force of the mast on the tophat surround created by the weight of the mast combined with tensioned halyards, you get more of an earthquake like an instantaneous slip under load which leads to a loud bang worst case and a significant creak best case. I Had to deal with a LOUD "banging" mast on about 30 second intervals for days on end when sailing downwind offshore in 15 -20 Kts. It was horrible and kind of scary to be honest. The bang could be so loud I thought the mast was at risk. I plan to try to fix it (once again) next time I have the mast out.
Mike Cunningham

patrick@paradox

mast wedge creaking

Post by patrick@paradox »

From what I read on different posts, some of you experience the same problem, mast movements at the mast-step generating scary noises.
I haven't suffered from that and maybe the reason is that the masts are well maintained on their top-hats by centralizing "rings" bolted around them, helped by rubber shims.
The photos below will be more explicit than my english.
The aft mast ring is in 2 parts, notice that it is not a complete circle (I believe there is not enough room around the mast-step).
On the picture of the mast step with the rings still on, you can see one rubber shim still in place.
top_hat_aft.jpg
top_hat_aft.jpg (115.51 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
aft_mast_ring.jpg
aft_mast_ring.jpg (104.31 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
top_hat_fore_with_rings.jpg
top_hat_fore_with_rings.jpg (105.56 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
" ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats"
- the Chinese Water Rat