Simplifying camberspar rigging

mike cunningham

Simplifying camberspar rigging

Post by mike cunningham »

At one point or another most of us have bemoaned the awkward process of removing the camberspar from the forstay. I have been trying some hardware in an effort to simplify setup such that I dont need three hands and a tail to hold on to all the bits.

So I decided to replace the bolt and nylock with a "locking quick release pin" sized to replace the bolt. This eliminates all bits but the infamous forstay retainer clip and the quick release pin. Goodbye nut, bolt, washers and frustration. I can get the camberspar on or off in about 30 seconds with this setup.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Stainless ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

F32Circle

Re: Simplifying camberspar rigging

Post by F32Circle »

Sounds great! Is the 8 mm pin the correct size?
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

mike cunningham

F32Circle wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 11:29 am
Sounds great! Is the 8 mm pin the correct size?
No! Check your set up first. I would not be surprised to see a variety of bolt diameters.

The pins are available in a lot of lengths and diameters. My objective for the post was to highlight the idea. If you are game, be sure to measure everything (diameter + required length) and purchase pieces accordingly. And also be sure to purchase a "locking" pin. There are a bunch of non locking pins out there - see below.

Speaking of which. I used the same idea on the heavy swimming ladder bolted to the stern. When I go racing I remove the ladder due to weight. What a hassle with nuts and bolts. I purchased a few of these fast pins (no locking required in this application) and they work fantastic for speeding up the ladder removal/replacement.
Mike Cunningham

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

Sorry Mike, I don’t act understand how the locking pin replaces the bolt and nut. My bolt passes through a washer then one grommet on the sail, then the metal forestay retaining piece with the camberspar block inside it, then the other sail grommet, the last washer and nylock nut.
Is yours different?

The retaining pin will neatly reach through the first grommet and both wings of the retaining clip, but how does yours pass through that second sail grommet and then lock to something? My grommets are larger diameter than the holes in the hardware. Seems I’d need something metal beyond the second sail grommet.
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

mike cunningham

I apologize. You are correct. I was so excited about my new method I forgot about the fender washer needed at the grommet.

The locking pin handle does the trick on one side but you do need to retain a fender washer for the other side. This washer is pressed home after the pin is inserted through the the forestay clip and opposite grommet.

I would still argue it is a less complex method but not quite as less complex as I originally asserted. The nice thing is you can capture all of the bits with the pin and then pull your cheap, easily replaceable washer out of your pocket to lock things up.

There are a couple of caveats too.

This is a quick change approach. Many Freedom sailors rarely touch the camberspar. I do because I have jib I use for cruising and another I use for racing. This mod makes no sense for sailors who rarely demount the camberspar

This approach requires a little maintenance. The pin will need to be cleaned and lubricated from time to time.

It does not seem like this pin is heavily loaded but I have gone with an SS pin for best sheer strength.
Mike Cunningham

mike cunningham

At risk of beating this topic to death.

I received my locking fast pin from Amazon. It came with a 5 inch retaining wire, see photo.

So I used the retaining wire clip to act as the additional washer and eliminated the need for the additional washer noted in my last post.

I am going to see how that wire bow works out when raising, lowering and sailing. If there is a snag risk I'll shorten it.

The pin

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWYQGB79?ps ... ct_details

The pin installed

[/attachment]
PXL_20230622_173130535 (1).jpg
PXL_20230622_173130535 (1).jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 2432 times

By the way, see that new sailcover? I made that myself on a used industrial sewing machine I bought a while back. I am working on the main cover right now. I am Inflation fighting!!! And, yes, I do have a new jib in the garage :-)
Attachments
PXL_20230622_173122358.jpg
PXL_20230622_173122358.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 2432 times
Mike Cunningham

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Hi All
I took a different approach to simplifying the rigging. Instead of a bolt I use a threaded rod. I first pass the threaded rod through the retainer and camberspar and loosely screw on two plastic nuts on either side. Since the camberspar and retainer are now held together on the forestay its easy to slip on the sail and and pull the gromets over the ends of the threaded rod. The plastic nuts are loose so I can easily slide the threaded rod in either direction to slip the grommets over the end of the threaded rod. I then add the washer and a nyloc nut over the grommets. The plastic nuts stay in place in the grommet hole. To remove the sail reverse the process.

Michael Belanich
Dolcetto F38

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

I’m not sure if they all have it but my retainer has a small hole near one end. I tie a small piece to cord through that hole and then around the forestry to keep it from falling into the deep while fighting with the camberspar. I like the threaded rod idea.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario