Spartite removal/installation

GeoffSchultz

Re: Spartite removal/installation

Post by GeoffSchultz »

There was never any reason for the yard to have cut off the ring. They screwed up and removed it for some unknown reason. There were no registration marks because it wasn't supposed to have been cut off! Any marks would have been painted over anyhow. This was just a screw up from start to finish.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

jon

Post by jon »

Hi Michel can you give me information where you purchased the pu rubber that you cast around your masts at deck level as I am about to put the mast back into my Tanton 43. 8-)

Michel

Post by Michel »

jon wrote:Hi Michel can you give me information where you purchased the pu rubber that you cast around your masts at deck level as I am about to put the mast back into my Tanton 43. 8-)
Hi Jon,

I used PMC-790 two part PU rubber. It's manufactured in the USA, You can find it if you google PMC-790. I bought in the the Netherlands (where I live) in a supply shop for casting materials. Note there are different durometer variants with different numbers such as PMC-750. I used the hardest variety which is hard but still a bit rubberlike. I don't want my freestanding spars to wobble around in the deck hole in a soft rubber bedding.

Hope this helps.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

jon

Post by jon »

Thank Michel I am now on Goggle and will find someone in U.K.I have had a stainless steel collar made which is 100mm high from deck level this is bolted permanately to the deck with the original deck ring bolts onto this and clamps around the mast.This was made to make a stronger hold onto mast and to be able to withdraw the mast through the permanent collar.This is a design Nick Charman had made for his Tanton 43 and designed by Yves Tanton the designer.

Michel

Post by Michel »

Hello Jon,

Say hello to Nick Charman from me if you happen to speak to him.
Your high turtleneck collar will be an ideal base to poor the liquid PU-rubber in. Just make sure that it does not run down along the mast. You can download the Spartite instructions to see how to make a seal below deck around the mast. I made a plywood ring in two half-moon parts that I bolted under the deck. On top of the plywood was a layer of plasticine clay to make a seal. On top of the plasticine clay and on the inside of the deck I rubbed a liberal amount of vaseline to ensure the PU-resin would not stick there. I degreased the mast to make sure the rubber would stick there. If you can't get the PMC-790 in the UK, get it from FormX here in the NL's. http://tb.smodev.com/tb/uploads/PMC-790_Shore_90A.pdf or in the USA from Smooth-on http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Rubbe ... index.html.

If you go back a bit in my photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/alabama_queen you'll find some pics of how I poured the PU resin.

Good luck!
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Michel,

I ordered 2 small kits of PMC-790 today. I sure hope that this stuff works as well as you claim!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

numbknots

Post by numbknots »

I used spartite 3yrs ago and although using vaseline I can no longer remove masts. Cutting it loose with hacksaw was beyond my patience threshold. One man on deck and another below pulling while the other is pushing a hacksaw blade back and forth. (with head and sholders squeezed into the anchor locker) I think a new owner can deal with that one. Use vaseline liberaly and if you can fined someting better use that. I lifted the front end of my boat out of the water without the mast budging. Thats what I know about spartite. Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

numbknots wrote:I used spartite 3yrs ago and although using vaseline I can no longer remove masts. Cutting it loose with hacksaw was beyond my patience threshold. One man on deck and another below pulling while the other is pushing a hacksaw blade back and forth. (with head and sholders squeezed into the anchor locker) I think a new owner can deal with that one. Use vaseline liberaly and if you can fined someting better use that. I lifted the front end of my boat out of the water without the mast budging. Thats what I know about spartite. Numbknots
Been there, seen that, done that! This is my 3rd Spartite'ish job. The first one ended as Numbknots's did. The second one was due to the yard cutting the ring off when they were painting the mast. Now I'm re-doing it to repair that mistake.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

Michel

Post by Michel »

Geoff,

I may have forgotten to mention you have to protect PMC-790 from sunlight. It gets brittle over the years if you leave it in the sun. So you need a boot or tape. Good luck, and if it doesn't hold up the way you expect, you can fully blame me. :mrgreen:

numbknots

Post by numbknots »

Michel ,

That post reminds me of my "great" find for mast boots. I used a rubber seal for a sewer pipe that they use to connect the old clay/ceramic pipe to the smaller diameter pvc pipe. It even came with stainless hose clamps and they were something like 15 dollars each. Now that was for a f 28 but maybe those companys make larger ones. Gotta get a break sometime. Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,