Membership Count

For use by moderators only to discuss diabolical things. :-)
katorpus

Membership Count

Post by katorpus »

I noticed that we hit 100 members on the day after Christmas, then met the new year with 104

We still haven't been here for a month yet, so that's not bad for a narrow-interest "boutique" blog for the owners of an orphaned line of sailboats.

Quantity, however doesn't trump quality...and I think we've added some significant value to the experience of being a Freedom sailor. Way to go, Geoff & George!

At least nobody seems to be bitching at us over on the FOG group lately.

There's a "newbie" over there who's concerned that a cat ketch won't go to windward. Maybe we should consider doing some "targeted" (private message) emails to some of these people to let them know what we have (and that it's free, and not selling anything or running any paid ads or links). I detest being cold-called (on the phone or by email), and there's always the danger that someone's immediate reaction would be "Damned SPAMMERS".

There''s certainly nothing wrong with referencing a post on this bbs in answer to a question on the FOG group, and I anticipate that, more & more, we might actually be getting a few cases of people creating topics over here (in response to questions "over there") and THEN referring people to them. Our organized "venue" sure makes it a lot easier to re-locate topics when the question comes back up again (as they so often do).

Just wondering what y'all think?

GeoffSchultz

Re: Membership Count

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I personally look at the current "I just joined and can't get my boat to point..." thread as a troll created by one of the people who don't want to see traffic going to this group. It's a perfect discussion to get people responding. If you re-read the post, you'll see the author talks a boat across the way at "Great Bay Marina". Well, there are 3 Great Bay Marinas and they're in NH, NJ and St. Martin. I doubt that any of the 1st two have anyone is out sailing at this time of year.

As far as sending them a message, I would skip that. Right now the only people reading either group are die-hard sailors and dedicated to one group or the other.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Every so often I go fishing for people who are probably not members of either group. I email them and let them know about us in a friendly way. If I can get their email from their own blogs or such then they are "asking for it". :)

In the mean time the search engines are helping us. I did get a hit on Geoff talking us up on another forum somewhere. :) I've also posted our presence here and there. We have a good core and we will grow naturally from here I think and that's always best with any online community.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

I agree with both of y'all on this approach.

Mostly, I was just revisiting an earlier "should we?" regarding sending an email of invitation to the FOG members.

if we're "voting", then my vote on that, at this point, is..."No", subject to the "Harry Reasoner Method of Democracy**

** the "Harry Reasoner Method of Democracy" is as follows:
Harry Reasoner had four children, each of whom got one vote
His wife had five votes
He had ten votes
Majority Rule.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

It will probably come down to at least once a month someone will put a link to a topic hear in response to a discussion there. That aught to be enough to remind people that we are here and that the features here are superior.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage