New Anchor for Hoyt F32

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
cmillsnj10

New Anchor for Hoyt F32

Post by cmillsnj10 »

I realize asking which anchor works best is a little like opening a discussion on politics or religion -- everyone will have an opinion with anecdotal evidence to back it up. Here goes anyway: After jamming our Simpson-Lawrence windlass over the weekend while practicing procedures for anchoring single handed, we had it looked at by the boatyard, who advised that we needed to replace our 20-year old chain, which was supposedly at least part of the problem. So first question: Have others noted that chain has a limited use-life and done routine replacement of it?

Next, the yard suggested that (previously unbeknown to us) our windlass would haul up nylon as well as chain and suggested 100 feet of chain and 100 of line (we've sailed for 20 years with 125 feet of chain only), as opposed to putting longer chain on the boat (we sail to Maine and would like to go far, far East where the tides are large). This is a horizontal 20-year old Simpson-Lawrence. Anyone have experience with combination long-chain-nylon-rodes going through such a windlass?

Finally, I'm thinking if we get all this new stuff for our ground tackle,a new anchor (to replace a 30-year old 35-lb. CQR) might be in order. Reviews on the Rocna seem really favorable. Does anyone have one of those installed? Does it work OK with the roller on the bow? And if so on a Hoyt F32, which weight did you go with?

Lots of questions. Thanks for reading this far.

Chris Mills
Watermusic, Hoyt F32
Docked in Milford CT

Rick Simonds

Re: New Anchor for Hoyt F32

Post by Rick Simonds »

Oh yes, brothers, let me preach to you about the wonders of my anchor choices and why they should be everyone else's choices, too! :lol:

About the only realistic thing that I think would kill chain is serious rust. I wouldn't replace it just on age alone. Make sure the chain is the exact type the windlass needs (BBB or G4 or whatever) or it will jam. Mine (G4) will lightly jam sometimes anyway, but a short bit of reverse on the windlass clears it.

I have a Muir vertical windlass on my Hoyt 32 and the "chain" wildcat will also haul rope as well. What it won't do is automatically push the rope down the hawse pipe as it comes in, it just piles up on deck and I have to push it down there myself. I'd actually prefer a rope / chain rode just for the shock absorption the rope has, but I use an all-chain rode just for the convenience of having the rode self-store as it comes up. I don't know if the the Simpson-Lawrence windlass is the same, I have zero experience with one. I have a short piece of rope fastened to the end of the chain rode just to keep me from accidentally dumping the whole thing overboard but the forepeak doesn't have enough room for my 140' of chain plus maybe 100' or so of rope as well. So I just use all chain.

I changed from a 35 lb CQR to a 35 lb Manson Supreme. The Manson is the cheaper knockoff of the Rocna, essentially the same design but about 1/2 the price. I love it. I often had trouble getting the CQR to set, it could take several tries. The Manson sets every time and I can literally feel the boat jerk to a stop, it's pretty much "can't miss." 35 lb is "too big", the 25 lb version would probably be enough but, with a windlass, why not go bigger? I might be re-thinking that notion the day I have to pull it up by hand, though. It doesn't fit the bow roller all that well, I should get a different one, but it works well enough for that item to be well down the list.

Rick
Tallahassee

cmillsnj10

Post by cmillsnj10 »

Thanks for the reply, Rick. For the reason that my wife wants to single-hand the boat in Maine this summer, I may go with the smaller of the recommended sizes of a Rocna to cover the possibility that she might have to haul it up by hand. I have to say that I actually saw a review of the Manson that wasn't all that favorable when comparing it to the Rocna. I will have to do some further research. Also, since I need it in a relative hurry (want to leave the Monday before the Fourth), I'm not sure I have the time to order something that isn't readily available from Defender or West. Not sure I've seen them carrying Manson anchors. I have been thinking of buying the smaller Rocna at the local West store (assuming it's in stock), taking it back to the boat to make sure it will fit on the roller correctly, and taking it back if it doesn't. Seven years or so ago we tried a big Delta, and my wife hated it. Wouldn't set worth beans. So we went back to the CQR, which really hasn't ever been a reliable setter, in my view. Kind of the lesser of evils.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Admitting that I am far from being an anchor expert - I will add that we were very happy - extremely happy with the Bruce anchor on our F30. Set easily and reset easily in big wind shifts. We haven't invested in a new anchor for our F38, and we really dislike (are frustrated with) the CQR that came with the boat.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

JimD

Post by JimD »

I have Rocna 20 on my Freedom 38. The secondary is a Fortress. When we installed the windlass put on a 35# Delta after a year replaced it with the Rocna. Cruise mostly the Chesapeake and the Rocna with 25' of chain and 200' of rope sets the first time and has never dragged,

Jim Demerest
F36/38 Lady of Remes

cmillsnj10

Post by cmillsnj10 »

Thanks for responding, Jim. Not to be unduly dense, but which weight is what you're referring to as the Rocna 20? There appear to be 22 and 33 pound versions of the anchor, and I was actually thinking of going lighter (on the possibility that I or my spouse might have to haul it manually in the event of windlass failure). The specs say that the 22 will handle boats ranging from 23 to 36, while the 33 pounder is for boats 26-39.

Craig

Post by Craig »

I put a Manson Supreme (similar to the Rocna) on our 40/40 and I am really happy with it. It just seems to grab onto the bottom and never let go. Sets much better than the CQR.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I installed a 25 Kg Rocna in 2007 and we have extensive experience anchoring with it. In general if it sets, it will stay set. No need to hand set it like the CQR that it replaced. It's a great anchor and we sleep well at night.

Just note that if you use a swivel, you need to have a piece of chain between the swivel and the anchor. See http://www.rocna.com/kb/Swivels

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi, I also have theMason Supreme like Rick. I anchor extensively and couldn't be happier with it. I use all chain and wouldn't consider anything else with the cruising I do. I believe your pretty right with any of new age anchors. I personally could not sleep at night if I had a CQR or equivalent. I say this very humbly and do not want to tempt fate but I have never dragged once since using the mansion supreme big fan but believe I would have same experience with the Rocna.

Cheers Dale
Freeform f32

JimD

Post by JimD »

The Rocna 20 is 20kg close to 44lbs. It could be a little work by hand, but with a windlass it is no problem.

Jim Demerest
F36/38 Lady of Remes