waves and wishbone noise

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
VeloFellow

waves and wishbone noise

Post by VeloFellow »

Peace.
From Clave', formerly FreeForm, 1981 hamble uk built F28(30) Centerboard Cat Ketch.

On a light day with little wind and ship and boat generated swell we experienced the booms flying around and striking the mast.
Any tricks you all do to quiet the little beast? Numbknots had rigged preventers on the main and I could tighten those down which helps a bit, but I am always weary of forgetting to releass things.
GPS Speed was 1-1.5 knots. Wind speed....

Thanks.
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop

VeloFellow

Re: waves and wishbone noise

Post by VeloFellow »

No thoughts?
Some things I see some booms mast chokers use two or more location on the boom. That might help a little. On the Nonsuch board That there are foam bumpers on the froward section of the boom.
I have thought about pool noodles. Quieting then if it really gets light swimmig floats.
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop

VeloFellow

Re: waves and wishbone noise

Post by VeloFellow »

I had recently replaced the shock cord on my adjustable mizzen stays, so placed a segment on each side of the boom which seems to dampen the racket.
I do have to adjust the location as it interacts a bit with the reefing line.
So bumpers, shock cord or multiple point of origin choker could all quiet the motions.
Nonsuch chose bumpers, I find shock cord works, I have seen multiple point boom to single mast point, but haven't tried yet.

Your experience. If you never have appreciated the boom taping the mast in light wind mod short wave situations...your set up works?
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop