Narragansett Bay Get Together 2015

tnltracy

Narragansett Bay Get Together 2015

Post by tnltracy »

Happy New Year all!

I'm working on nailing down the summer plans before I lose all control over my time (2 active teenagers)...

Proposing plans for a get together over the summer in Narragansett Bay, or the immediate area depending on interest.

A couple thoughts on location and timing, and any all imput appreciated based on experience:

Dutch Harbor appears to be a great location with good access from outside the Bay.

Newport Jazz Fest is a great reason/ place to get together

Looking forward to a long and enjoyable 2015 sailing season!

Tom
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

midnightsailor

Re: Narragansett Bay Get Together 2015

Post by midnightsailor »

I would look forward to a gathering of Freedom Yachts in the North East US this year. Narragansett would fine or maybe Block , as I am coming from Greenport. Maybe others in the area have some interest and ideas . Here's to making it happen! Rick
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

How about Tashmoo?
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

Certainly like the idea of a Freedom rendezvous this summer. Knowing it is hard to find a date and location that works for all interested parties, I'd suggest we might want to set up a couple, in different places and dates.
We sail out of the CT river, so Narragansett Bay, L.I. Sound, Block or Shelter Islands would all be feasible for us.
We know and like Dutch Harbor. (For the uninitiated, e.g. me, where's Tashmoo?)
Dale
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

Meltemi

Post by Meltemi »

Dutch Harbor is a great location. Moorings available, excellent holding ground, great swimming, short walk to Jamestown village. I've had a mooring there for several years. I'm in. Quite a few Freedoms in the Narragansett Bay area as well.
Sounds like fun.
F35 - Pedrick
1996 Hull #60
Newport, RI

1980raven

Post by 1980raven »

Depending on the date I am interested. I sail my F28 out of Pawtuxet Cove, Cranston, RI. As others have stated DH is a great location for a get together. Dale, Lake Tashmoo is on MV. Last summer I spoke with a woman who has a mooring there she said "the holding is a little sketchy, visiting boats drag anchor all the time".
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

Still a bit early on, but in the interest of coordinating across the members here, I'm proposing 3 weekend options for the get together this summer:

July 18-19
July 25-26
August 1-2 (Newport Jazz Festival)

I think there's a polling mechanism on the site, but I'm not sure how to set it up, if anyone else knows how, please feel free to add, otherwise, responses in line with preferences would be appreciated.

Location wise, either Dutch Harbor or Block Island appear to be the most central to the responses so far.
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

moosemcclintock

Post by moosemcclintock »

How about this? There are several races out to BI over the course of the summer. One is Memorial Day weekend, sponsored by Newport YC. One is the weekend of 8/8 sponsored by the 2000 Club, one is Columbus Day weekend also sponsored by Newport Yacht club. None of the races is super serious (except maybe the 2000 Club race), it would be a great way to casually get to a rendezvous spot, go ashore and have parties already organized, and mingle with both Freedom and other sailors. The nice thing about the 2000 Club race is that it's on VJ Day weekend so they also race back to Newport on the Monday which is a state holiday. You have to join the 200 Club to do their race but the NYC races are open to anyone with a PHRF certificate, or they'll issue you one if you want. Could be a blast.

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

Count one vote for Dutch Harbor. Any of the dates will probably be okay. Slight preference for the middle one.
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

I would join with my F25 from Wickford RI, and like Dutch Harbor. Newport side of the bay is crazy and expensive
cheers,
yarrow
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI