F38 Rudder Plans and/or Molds

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
dfurciniti

F38 Rudder Plans and/or Molds

Post by dfurciniti »

This past season I had an unfortunate event where I hit an underwater ledge and damaged (snapped in half) my 1987 F38 rudder while I was being freed. I know that the F38 is an F36 with a swim platform but I have been informed that there is a different rudder shape for the F38. Does anybody out there have information about who may have the plans and/or molds so that my boatyard can build me a new one? They have not had much luck tracking anything down.

RadioZephyr

Re: F38 Rudder Plans and/or Molds

Post by RadioZephyr »

Call Paul Dennis at Warren River Boatworks. He has dealt with this before and should be able to help you out.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

dfurciniti

Post by dfurciniti »

I spoke with Paul and he does not have any molds or plans. He has offered to take measurements of an F36/F38 rudder that he has in the yard. Not sure what that will cost yet but at this point, it is the only option. I wish someone had a mold that would allow my yard to make sure that the shape is as close to the original as possible for performance reasons. The 1987 F38 is actually an F36 with the swim platform added on (this was done until 1989). The F38 was not actually manufactured until 1989.

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

dfurciniti wrote:I spoke with Paul and he does not have any molds or plans. He has offered to take measurements of an F36/F38 rudder that he has in the yard. Not sure what that will cost yet but at this point, it is the only option. I wish someone had a mold that would allow my yard to make sure that the shape is as close to the original as possible for performance reasons. The 1987 F38 is actually an F36 with the swim platform added on (this was done until 1989). The F38 was not actually manufactured until 1989.
Yup, I believe that's my rudder. I had him make up a new rudder bearing for my 1986 deep draft F36/38, so we dropped the rudder and it's not yet been re-installed.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

bad

Post by bad »

Not sure if you've tried Foss Rudders
- they have probably made the most rudders. For a one-off you may want to try Phil’s Foils (Google both). They'll tell you what they need to make s duplicate or improve on the current design.

Erik

dfurciniti

Post by dfurciniti »

bad wrote:Not sure if you've tried Foss Rudders
- they have probably made the most rudders. For a one-off you may want to try Phil’s Foils (Google both). They'll tell you what they need to make s duplicate or improve on the current design.

Erik
I just reached out to them to see if they have ever built one for the Freedom 38. Thanks for the input. At this point my boatyard is going to try to get measurements off RadioZephyr's rudder in Warren, RI. I will see if they come back with anything.