Hoyt 32 light wind head sail - suggestions?

hotstonp

Hoyt 32 light wind head sail - suggestions?

Post by hotstonp »

Happy New Year everyone.

Has anyone with the a cat sloop freedom used anything other than the camberspar jib for up wind sailing in light wind conditions? I would be very interested in your thoughts.

What other changes did you make. Halyard, winches etc?

Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

jamesorr

Re: Hoyt 32 light wind head sail - suggestions?

Post by jamesorr »

I have a Mull 32, which came (perhaps added by the first owner) with a couple of non-camberspar foresails (a 110 and 155). When my son sails the boat, he insists on using them, although my wife prefers the ease of use with the camberspar (no sheet work when tacking). In terms of setup, the only differences would be the use of a set of jib sheet winches (which also came with) and jib track and cars (starboard and port). The boat actually also came with these, but only one car, so swapped out the jib tracks/cars for a new setup (Lewmar I believe, years ago). The 155 in particular definitely gives better light air performance as well as better point -- at the cost of more work of course...
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Search this site for "Top Reacher"
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Many thanks for both of your pointers...

Currently talking to Kemps about a top reacher although they call it an ULG - ultralight Genoa

Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Peter, can you post more when you decide on a head sail? I've been tolerating the camberspar set up, but can't decide on an alternative, mainly because they would likely create large counter forces on the mast.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Camino

Post by Camino »

gamayun- in Florida getting ready to fly home so I had time on my hands so decided to chime in here :D

See pic - on my f35 I rigged an asymmetrical spinnaker. I use an ATN Tacker on my wrapped up jib to pin the tack with adjoining tack line to a forward cleat. Head has a sock making hoisting and dousing straightforward and drama free pretty much. I can single hand this. This configuration is good up to 12 knotts AWS - and that's a handful. If I had it over to do, I'd have Mack Sails make the asym SMALLER. Had it less than one year and no strain on mast as I can see YET. Pic is by Carqueniz.
Attachments
IMG_0274.jpg
IMG_0274.jpg (11.39 KiB) Viewed 6762 times

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Thanks Camino! I actually have a small spinnaker like that, which came with the boat, but the sock was toast so I tossed it. I borrowed an ATN from a friend but just never got comfortable with flying the spinny. I'm a bit of a wimp about them. How does the spinnaker differ from the jib top reacher?
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Camino

Post by Camino »

The asymmetrical only has one sheet at a time to deal with. The more of a run, you let the sheet out so the asymmetrical flies kind of in front of the boat. That works up til about 150°. My sail needs to be about 20% smaller for me to be really comfortable with it up to say 12 to 15 kts apparent wind speed. The asymmetrical head attaches about 4 inches above my jib sheave. Asymmetrical halyard attaches at mast- I raise the sock from the mast and tie off the halyard there. I run the two sheets port/ starbd, and the tack on the Tacker . Raise the shut and tie off those two lines at a forward cleat and go to cockpit to trim the one sheet. Dousing is blowing the tack by pulling the lanyard on the Tacker shackle, while holding onto the 2 chut lines that I’ve uncleared. The tack blows free. Pull down the shut and sail-tie off the downed chut until I want to really put it away.

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Thanks Camino that does look like a good way forward.

I had a further chat with Kemps here in the UK and discussed using the hoyt spinnaker pole to push past the pulpit a little and then fly the sail off that. It then has the spinnaker sheet through the pole to act as a tensioner of sorts. Still thinking things through and only want a sail for up to about 12 knots... Gamayun ...will let you know how I go in the end.

Keep well
Peter