New Anchor for Hoyt F32

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
TonyB

Re: New Anchor for Hoyt F32

Post by TonyB »

Just FYI I went looking for the KB Article about the swivel that Geoff posted. The current correct URL is here http://kb.rocna.com/kb/Swivels

Interesting point about lateral loads are what cause swivels to fail and the way to avoid that is to put a short piece of chain between the anchor and the swivel. I don't think that is what most folks do but it makes a lot of sense.
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

If the anchor weight is that much of an issue maybe you should consider an aluminum spade for when your wife is single handing (15 lbs. for your Hoyt 32 because they rate their anchors by area not weight.) Spade anchors are rated pretty well.

Or just buy one of the normally sized modern anchors (Rocna, Manson or Spade) and rig a chain hook, line and snatch block to retrieve it with one of your winches if the windlass fails; one 20 ft. length at a time.

I have a galvanized spade, 100 ft. of chain and 200 ft. of rope with a Lewmar vertical windlass on my F-30. Works well.

https://www.spadeanchorusa.com
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

We have a mixed chain/anchor rode. It runs through the Simpson-Lawrence winch without problems, including the splice. The nylon is 8-strand multiplait, and when we run it out - which is rare - we have to stow the nylon below decks separately as it doesn't coil up without intervention in our chain locker.

In sheltered waters, we can get away with a 10kg Bruce, which holds well in the silt of Scandinavian lagoons, but otherwise have been able to rely on our CQR; I would change it for a Rocna if I lost it, but not otherwise.

And, by the way, our anchor and chain are 30+ years old; we had the anchor re-galvanised ten years ago, but the chain is still OK.
Last edited by Castaway on Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Kommy000

Post by Kommy000 »

Can someone show me there setup for windlass on F32. I never had one before on smaller boat and almost ready to remove because on my F32 it is set back from my anchor locker so I can't have it dumped automatically into it. I have rope chain setup and it is a pain when you trying to get off anchor and there is no point dropping anchor via windlass since I have to feed it manually into the windlass. So how do you do it? Do you just dump all of it on the deck and then once off the anchor start feeding the whole thing through the tiny hole that leads to chain locker? It is a huge mess especially when the chain si muddy. How do you feed it? Do you feed it backwards from bottom up this way you can collect it and make sure it doesn't get wrapped around the drum? Seems like the whole front of F32 is not designed for windlass and I'm starting to think it's too much trouble to have unless somebody has a system that works?

bobr

Post by bobr »

Kommy000 wrote:Can someone show me there setup for windlass on F32. I never had one before on smaller boat and almost ready to remove because on my F32 it is set back from my anchor locker so I can't have it dumped automatically into it. I have rope chain setup and it is a pain when you trying to get off anchor and there is no point dropping anchor via windlass since I have to feed it manually into the windlass. So how do you do it? Do you just dump all of it on the deck and then once off the anchor start feeding the whole thing through the tiny hole that leads to chain locker? It is a huge mess especially when the chain si muddy. How do you feed it? Do you feed it backwards from bottom up this way you can collect it and make sure it doesn't get wrapped around the drum? Seems like the whole front of F32 is not designed for windlass and I'm starting to think it's too much trouble to have unless somebody has a system that works?
I can't answer your questions, but it sure sounds like a windlass on your boat might be a solution in search of a problem. I see in another post you are getting rid of your davits and outboard motor hoist, so I'm guessing handling the anchor without a windlass is not a problem. On my Freedom 35 I got tired of having to be careful of my hands, and seeing the rope to chain splice get mangled, so now I bypass the windlass.

My primary anchor is a 25 lb CQR, and it is not an issue for me with the bow roller and typical depths of 10-15 feet. With a heavier anchor and/or all chain set up I would probably go back to using the windlass. I'm not the original owner, but as best I can tell the boat has always been used in coastal waters in an area with lots of moorings and well protected shallow anchorages, so the windlass installation is a bit of a mystery. My guess is the same prior owner who put in the windlass also installed the inverter, on a boat with a modest battery bank. That one got removed by me. No point in tempting anyone to plug in a hair dryer :lol:
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

Erik

Post by Erik »

Good afternoon
I have tried several anchors and found the Fortress to be superior in every way. I have a Freedom 33 Cat ketch and sail in the north east US. I switched to a F23 which may be over-sized for my boat but it fits the bow roller and weighs next to nothing. It has never failed to hold. I have 30' of chain and 200' of nylon. The anchor has the mud palms which help it set that much faster. The next addition will be a anchor windless. Any suggestions in that area.

Regards to all

Erik