Freedom 35 flag halyard

rmraz

Freedom 35 flag halyard

Post by rmraz »

We purchased Freestyle last year (1996 Freedom 35 P) and are in the process of repainting the mast and boom. There are two sheaves at the masthead, one fore and one aft, that are labeled flag halyard but no other indication of where the line would go from there. I would like to have the ability to fly a burgee or the q flag when we visit Canada. It am unsure how to rig this line. Where does it get tied off? Does the halyard run next to the mast? If so does it slap? This is our first boat with a freestanding mast so I am new to being without spreaders. We love the boat so far and are just finishing up the bottom project, soda blasting, barrier coating, new bottom paint will be launching in a couple of weeks.
Randy Mraz
Freedom 35 Pedrick
Freestyle
Freeport ME

BillSmith

Re: Freedom 35 flag halyard

Post by BillSmith »

Randy,

I have not been up to masthead. Take my observation with a grain of sea salt.

Bought the boat used. Inherited an ensign raising 'halyard' of thin cordage that is secured at the toe rail. Strangely, it appears to be attached at the fore and aft protrusions of the masthead, though has to be on a block as it is able to raise and lower flags secured on two clips.

With it secured at the toe rail, no slap. Do have some rigger's tape at the slot of the rail that eliminates any rattling of the shackle. And while less secure, a balancing hand hold.

When we had our boat out for bottom work, upon suggestion, coated the keel in epoxy. There were visible pockets in the lead. Half moon depressions as though done by a melon ball device. After going back into the water, our zincs no longer needed to be replaced every three months. Assume the lead keel was like a magnet for stray electrons.

My wife, the experienced sailor, continues to comment on the lack of spreaders and stays. Wants the hand holds. The benefits of no standing rigging are many. Primary? Less points of rest for birds! We have always used our main halyard as a topping lift when in slip. Recently, a pair of birds decided they could perch at that angle, thus dropping the digested remains of their day's consumption on our mainsail cover. Halyard is now attached opposite ensign at the toe rail. Anywhere near mast produces the usual slapping. Could also wrap and secure on stainless hand rail running along the cabin top.

There's better sources here on this forum than I. Just wanted to chime in and welcome you as a fellow Pedrick owner.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

rmraz

Post by rmraz »

Thanks Bill, that clears things up, it would just run to a shackle on the toe rail. We coated the keel in epoxy too after fairing it.
Randy Mraz
Freedom 35 Pedrick
Freestyle
Freeport ME

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

That flag halyard line is also for running an emergency halyard. You use it as a messenger for a heavier line, and use that to hoist a block with the new main halyard run through it.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

rmraz

Post by rmraz »

Useful information, thanks.
Randy Mraz
Freedom 35 Pedrick
Freestyle
Freeport ME

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

I took a piece of stainless tubing like used on a bow pulpit and mounted it to my masthead. One bolt thru the tube into a flat piece forward of the wind vane. Two u-bolts on either side to keep it from spinning. A small block on either end. I run a club flag or courtesy flag up one side and carry a radar reflector on the other. You can just make it out in the attached picture. (Sorry about the finger!)
I first tried flat stock of aluminum. Downward pressure of the halyards and snow bent it. Same thing happened with an L shaped piece. Round tubing is stronger and doesn't hold the snow.
Attachments
Masthead.jpg
Masthead.jpg (136.25 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME