Need wishbones for Freedom 40 ac

Boatfxr

Need wishbones for Freedom 40 ac

Post by Boatfxr »

Hello, I recently became involve with rerigging the boat back to original wrap around sails and wishbone booms.The boat has carbo fiber mast which are being reworked. I’ve got good leads on sails I just don’t having anything or reference to building at set of wishbones. Can anyone here be of assistance?

Castaway

Re: Need wishbones for Freedom 40 ac

Post by Castaway »

On the prototype Freedom 40, they were built of laminated wood, according to the pictures I have seen, and this might well be the simplest way of making "one off" wishbones. Pretty well all the others have aluminium tubular wishbones, which would be lighter for the same strength and need less maintenance. You would need to get the measurements from a '40' owner; I have a '35', and could post constructional details (photographs) but not sizes.

So many cat ketches were converted to 'conventional' booms and sails, that there ought to be some discarded wishbones lying around, and they might be the optimal choice, if only you can find them!

Personally, I wouldn't change the wrap around/wishbone sail system even for a 10% increase in sail area and full battens; the flexibility and ease of handing or reefing are so great.

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Boatfxr

Post by Boatfxr »

Thank you Castaway. I can use any info you provide. Iv'e personally saw this boat back in '04 and wAs fascinated by her free standing mast and uncomplicated rigging along with her clear decks. I do not know what any parts of the wishbone look like.
If you could, please send some picks and maybe dimensions which may enlarged to fit. BTW you have the same viewpoints on this design that we do .

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

You can find more details and schematics of the layout from this site, try 'Manuals & Documentation'; there is a complete manual for commissioning the F35 (33 in US) cat ketch. This will give clues about attachment of the wishbones, control lines, etc. I don't think a scaling up of the dimensions will work, as the F35 is not a 'scale model' of the F40. Anyway, my boat is in Sweden, 300NM away. I have some pictures from when she was laid up a few years ago, and also a picture of the mizzen sail set. The tube diameter of the mizzen wishbone is less than for the main, and the outhaul can produce a lot of tension, so they don't need to be pared down too much.
end of mizzen wishbone
end of mizzen wishbone
brother 6.jpg (219.12 KiB) Viewed 7468 times

mizzen sail set
mizzen sail set
wishbone (2).jpg (140.13 KiB) Viewed 7468 times
More pics to follow when I have sorted file size.
Gerald Freshwater,
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Boatfxr

Post by Boatfxr »

Hey thanks for what you’ve sent so far. That the clearest pic I’ve seen so far in my research. Looking forward to whatever else you may have.

seadago

Post by seadago »

Castaway wrote:
wishbone (2).jpg
More pics to follow when I have sorted file size.
Gerald, how do you hold your booms up? I can't see the boom halyard nor any lines attaching it to the side bars...

Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Rafael,

There's a harness around the aft side of the mast, attached to an uphaul (2 part tackle) inside the zipped pocket. There is a lug on the mast about half way up which carries a block and becket. The line goes to the foot of the mast and thence to the jammer in the cockpit. The ends of the harness, blue and white in the picture, are tied to the wishbones with about 4 turns of 4mm rope, and the length is chosen to let the boom sit clear of obstruction, and also to allow the outhaul to flatten the sail. The picture attached here shows both booms from astern, which might make it a little clearer.
Boom harnesses visible on main and mizzen
Boom harnesses visible on main and mizzen
rig held up (1).jpg (223.89 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
You can see I haven't adequately tensioned the tack downhaul on the mizzen, but we were about to free off as we reached the turn in the channel ahead.

Regards,

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

James Stinson

Post by James Stinson »

I'm not sure if you're on the Freedom Yachts Owners facebook page, but there is a recent post with wishbones for sale that seem like they would fit your boat: https://www.facebook.com/groups/134021110423530/

David Smith
September 26 at 5:21 PM
It just occurred to me that I should probably offer my alloy wishbone booms for sale. I’m converting my Freedom 40’ aft cockpit cat/ketch (#63) to a cambered-panel junk schooner. As such, I won’t be able to use the wishbooms, so it could be mutually beneficial to someone looking to either upgrade timber wishbooms or convert back to wrap-around sails. Located on the north Oregon coast in the US. $1K/ea.

This may be worth exploring.

James

bad

Post by bad »

I have a pair of wooden booms in good shape for sale for a nominal fee. Note that the 40s booms are around 21ft long is shipping is a little more complex. If you want high tech carbon booms contact Tom Wylie who designs the Wyliecat line.

Erik

tanton37

Post by tanton37 »

Eric, please send me details regarding the wishbones. Thanks, David