New Jib

Grimsby_Alan

New Jib

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

I hate to brag but in this case I think it’s justified........
I am now the proud owner of a brand new jib for my Hoyt 32. The best part is that is was made by the legend Dave Bierig himself. 35 years after the original. As an added bonus I got to hang out with him in his loft while he regaled me with stories of all his various innovations and how they came to be. Fascinating day.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

JohnReinagel

Re: New Jib

Post by JohnReinagel »

Lol, now we see how you are Alan! I'm sure the stories were plentiful and the experience was humbling. I understand why you felt the need to rub it in, errr, I mean brag. :lol:
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

OK...officially jealous. He made a camber spar for me...great guy and hilariously gruff.

My next project is new Jib and the line that holds the Jib up.

Is he available for work? Any idea on pricing?
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

walterg

Post by walterg »

Dave built me a full set of sails, including a asymmetrical spinnaker, for a Marples trimaran that I built in the early 90's. There was a lot of back and forth (mostly gentle suggestions from Dave to me) about the sail design and they were just beautiful. A few years back I called him for a new set for my Freedom and he told me that he was no longer making sails, but we did have very nice conversation about Dreamer and the other projects he was working on. Great guy to work with, I envy you for an afternoon chatting with him!
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

He’s not officially retired, he’s just working on what interests him. He goes sailing every day in the season.
He’s mostly making old style sails with modern materials. I got the feeling that he made one for me because he liked the H32 and i caught him at a good time.
The cost was $900 us including a spiffy new sail bag and a great experience listening to his stories.
I’m only a couple of hours away so just drove down and picked it up. I got to see the gruff side when i had to call to confirm the directions.
Sadly I didn’t get a chance to try it out this season but it does give me another reason to look forward to spring.
Most likely there will be pictures once i get her hanked on.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario