F32:Mast base is moving (normal?)

weirdofreedom

F32:Mast base is moving (normal?)

Post by weirdofreedom »

We’ve had the boat (Freedom 32) a couple years and this weekend we started hearing a rubbing noise during the night. An investigation found the base of the mast rubbing on the block under it. It’s never done this before and the noise was loud enough and constant to keep us awake all night and the boat wasn’t even under sail. We were moored you with only 6kn of wind blowing.

Links to YouTube video showing movement below.

https://youtu.be/aSWSs6J08zA

https://youtu.be/_gnYGNfuynw

We didn’t sail the rest of the weekend not knowing if this is something to worry about or not. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal for a freestanding rig?

Grimsby_Alan

Re: F32:Mast base is moving (normal?)

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

Definitely not normal..Are you missing either the “L” bracket or the bolt that holds the mast steady on the “Hat”?
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

weirdofreedom

Post by weirdofreedom »

I discovered since my post that the mast is missing the “L” bracket. Going to have to see if I can order one or have one made before next season.

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

You will find many posts about this very issue. Many people have had a new "hat" made for the mast to sit on/over. I've had no play with mine in the three years I've had her, but I do not have an L bracket either. I have a single bolt that runs through the mast and this "hat", it seems very rigid. I am not certain if mine or Alan's or something else would be as it was from the factory.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

AS John mentioned mine also lacks an “L” bracket. I have two holes at the base of the mast and bolts thread into matching holes in the “hat” base. I recall reading that the bolts or brackets are there to prevent the mast from rotating not for structure. Mine has a very snug fit when stepped. The crew that unstepped mine just after i took possession told me that they have actually had Freedoms lift up significantly before the mast came loose from it’s base Also as John noted there are extensive posts regarding repairing the “hat” bases. Best of luck.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario