Yanmar Parts

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
mike cunningham

Yanmar Parts

Post by mike cunningham »

Hi all, locked down in California but able to do some boat work due to my boat being in my back yard (not violating remain in place). I have a diesel leak around the hi pressure fuel pump area. It is hard to get to so I have been putting the fix off for a long time. In the spirit of never letting a crisis go to waste I figured I would disassemble the hoses and piping which obstruct access to the top of the pump where I think the leak is located and see if I can fix the leak. The problem is if I need parts. Yanmar has this assinine approach to online sales which restricts dealers from selling their parts nationwide. I am stuck buying from a bricks and mortar store in Alameda which is closed as a result of Covid 19.

I hate to get the motor apart and have to leave it apart until who know when stores open up. Has anyone got experience with an outfit selling Yanmar or aftermarket parts online? I realize e-bay and the like might have what I need but would prefer access to a full catalog parts outlet so I don't get stuck.

Here's hoping everyone in the Freedom community is well and taking care.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

Camino

Re: Yanmar Parts

Post by Camino »

Mike - don’t know if this will help - I buy here
https://www.marinedieselparts.com/store ... atalog.htm
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I frequently ordered online. The trick is to find which of the large authorized Yanmar parts supply companies is in your region. These regions are quite large. For instance I was in MA and ordered from a company that I think was in the midwest. They couldn't sell to California as I recall. Here's one other but I dont know which region they serve:
https://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/yanma ... nd-engines

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

I’ve always had good luck with this place: http://toadmarinesupply.com/
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

mike cunningham

Thanks guys, I'll check recommended sites.

Mike
Mike Cunningham

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Hey Mike, hope you and your family are all doing well. I recently purchased Yanmar parts from Svens. They only get these shipments in twice a month (15th and 30th, I think) though that might also have changed recently given overall delivery issues. It's also not exactly an easy drive for you so let me know if you need help with the logistics, if you can't find an alternative.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

mike cunningham

gamayun wrote:Hey Mike, hope you and your family are all doing well. I recently purchased Yanmar parts from Svens. They only get these shipments in twice a month (15th and 30th, I think) though that might also have changed recently given overall delivery issues. It's also not exactly an easy drive for you so let me know if you need help with the logistics, if you can't find an alternative.
Thanks for the offer Carliane but I sure as heck am not going to ask you to take any risk so I can fix a boat engine. I am checking out the online options suggested by the Freedom squad so we'll see how that goes. Worst case I'll just encounter a delay, no big deal.

We are indeed doing well other than a bad case of if paranoia. Take care and be prepared to repel viral borders. Hopefully we'll see you later this year.
Mike Cunningham

mike cunningham

Long overdue follow up on this. None of the online places will sell to Cali although I do note Amazon now carries some parts. Not comprehensive but they have a few items. Same with ebay although that is catch as catch can.

I called Svendsen's, they were happy to take my over the phone and fedex them to me (free for orders over $100). I have a parts manual on hand so this worked very well. Stuff got here in two days because we are so close to the store in Alameda.
Mike Cunningham

mike cunningham

One more thing re this episode and that is ... how did it end? Might be useful for the record when someone else has a

Leak at the top of the hi pressure fuel pump on a Yanmar 2GM20F.

I had been experiencing this leakage for quite a while. It was very difficult to tell where the fuel was coming from exactly, the two fuel pipe joints for the pipes headed over to the injectors or the fuel pump itself.

As it turns out, someone over a Cruisers and Sailing forum had experienced a very similar problem. If you remove the fuel pipes from the HP pump, You can then get at the top of the pump. There are two retaining nuts on the top of the pump, one for each fuel pipe. The nuts hold down several pump components and can be removed (with great care and cleanliness). Each of them is equipped with an O ring, I removed the nuts and inspected the O rings and... don't you love it when you find the source of a nagging problem?

Sure enough both O rings were badly cracked and degraded. I 'll bet they were original and about 34 years old so it is no wonder. Anyway, replaced these O rings, reassembled and then broke the head off the hi pressure pump bleed screw which was also original. AARGH!!!

However, I proved myself, once again, to be a genius (other than running out of fuel the other day which could easily happen to any genius) and had a spare bleed nut in my kit. As a matter of fact, I had two spares ha ha, I am ready for the next thirty years.

Anyway after cussing up a storm, thinking there was no way I had a replacement nut, I found my spares and got the system bled. Started up and all good.

Most of your 2GMs are probably pretty old, so if you have leakage in the fuel pump area there is a good bet it is these obscure O rings.

The other replacement I accomplished as part of this mini fuel system refit was the engine mounted fuel filter assembly. On the way back from Hawaii I had stripped the bleed screw. NO! not because I ran out of fuel, but the darn screw was leaking and I couldn't get it to seal and twisted a little to hard. I replaced it with a larger bolt so I could get home but this was a kludge which needed to be fixed so I replaced the whole thing. Sweet! I was amazed at the cost of the replacement, it was only $65.00 and included a filter and all bolts!
Mike Cunningham