freedom 21 mast exit block

pburos

freedom 21 mast exit block

Post by pburos »

I need to replace my jib halyard exit block. The block that fits into the mast for the 8mm jib halyard line. Does anyone know where to find a new one?

newt2u

Re: freedom 21 mast exit block

Post by newt2u »

That's interesting, my F21 has an external jib block and only the spinnaker and main halliards are internal to the mast.

I am not sure what kit was used in your mast but if you measure it up and search any chandlery for exit blocks you can compare sizes. You may need to go to the manufacturers to get full specifications.

Good luck with your search.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

pburos

Post by pburos »

Ya, I only have one fore halyard so it may have been for the spinnaker. My boat is a 1987 vintage. Looks like some kind of plastic pulley and a stainless steel housing. I checked harken and schaefer but couldn't find anything. You don't know which manufacturer may have fabricated this block?
IMG_8673 (2).JPG
IMG_8673 (2).JPG (3.21 MiB) Viewed 2571 times

Pearce

Post by Pearce »

One option is Rig-Rite.
Usually pretty good at helping with mast parts.

https://www.rigrite.com/
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Yes that is the spinnaker block and its exactly the same as the one I have. It is an unusual fitting, exit blocks usually have attachments either above and below or to the sides on flanges that sit against the mast but ours is recessed on that pair stainless straps.

What exactly is the problem with the block? It might be possible to just replace the sheave if you remove it.

I would be interested to see more if you do decide to remove the block to investigate further. It may be a standard block with a custom strap fixing to recess the block.

I attach a pic of mine, you can see the job block mounted just below the spinnaker block, externally. Sorry for the poor quality its a blow up of the whole boat.
IMG_0468.jpeg
IMG_0468.jpeg (137.19 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

pburos

Post by pburos »

The sheave is missing. I believe the rest of the block is intact. Here's a closeup of it. I'll send you another pic when I take it off. Thanks for your ideas.
Attachments
IMG_8672.JPG
IMG_8672.JPG (2.88 MiB) Viewed 2532 times

hkowalczyk

Post by hkowalczyk »

It's a harken through deck block. Double check the size, but if my notes are correct it should be this,

https://www.harken.com/en/shop/small-bo ... let-block/

you don't use the black plastic trim piece. You need to drill out the rivets on the stainless steel strap so you can move them out of the way to take out the block You'll need these rivets.

https://www.amazon.com/RV6602-6-8-B-Bay ... B07ZRPYBFK

It's a pretty easy job to do. I replaced mine about 10 years ago.

pburos

Post by pburos »

Thank you for your info.

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Has anyone installed a second block like that above or below for the second halyard? I don't really want to do an external block but I don't know how much another big hole would weaken the mast.
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Also, @pburos I was looking through your profile to see if you had any pics of your F21 - are you still in Sarasota? I'm not far away in St Pete and I've never seen another F21 in person - I'd love to get together and sail sometime / check out your boat.
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL