8" mast and 9" collar + floorboards

Hey all, I have a new-to-me F29 which has an 8" diameter mast (at the deck, of course) … and/but the ID of the collar is 9". What?! Why?!

Rigrite sells a 8.125" ID collar, so I am perplexed. Has anyone else seen this? I really don’t want to rely on wedges (not to be confused with the synthetic open ring “wedge” for the deck hole, which appears to fit, or will fit when installed properly in the spring) nor another inventive workaround. I’d much rather stick to the original engineering, though the thought of making any new deck holes is sleep-disturbing.

Nightmares abound as it seems nothing was done correctly. Someone even put spray foam in the bilge _(&#;“!@/?”!@! that had to be painstakingly removed by hand while on my knees with my head on the floorboards – two of which appear to be glassed into the boat. What?! Why?! Is this normal? Shouldn’t all floorboard be removable? You’d hope.

I would maybe use any spare space you have to put in an isolating ring made out of nylon or something like that. The masts on my F40cc are currently being taken out at the minute and there is no movement on them due to the aluminium corroding and welding to the rings and it sounds like it is going to be expensive!

Talk to Paul Dennis, he definitely knows how this is supposed to go together. https://www.warrenriverboatworks.com

Spartite resin is poured in between the deck and the mast. You make a dam at the bottom level of the deck out of synthetic clay (plastisol). Spray mold release on the deck and the mast so you dont fuse the two together. On my 40/40 the resin “donut” is about an inch and a half thick.

1 Like